Boudoir Photoshoots – What to Expect and What (Not!) to Wear
I’d like to give everyone a bit of advice if you’re about to book, or have just booked, your boudoir shoot with me. I’d love for you to get the best from your boudoir photography photoshoot and your final images, so here are a few tips…
What to wear
Before and after shots of my boudoir clients – you CAN look this amazing!
The most important thing, whatever you choose to wear, is that you’re comfortable. A boudoir shoot obviously encourages us to ‘push the boundaries’ from our everyday clothes, but this doesn’t mean you are completely outside of your comfort zone. There are lots of options to suit every body shape, which are glamorous and flattering, as well as affordable. Many women opt for sexy underwear, but if this isn’t for you then satin dressing gowns or glamorous / vintage evening dresses can be worn with equally stunning and sexy results.
If you do go for underwear, here are a few tips to help you choose:
• Unless you are very slim with a great bust, it may be best to avoid bra & knickers sets – they aren’t always the most flattering, particularly around the tummy area (which is tricky to retouch!).
• As a general rule, items with good support, such as built-in cups are best, particularly for ‘lying down’ shots, as they will hold everything in place. Make sure they fit well and if you are keen to hide particular lumps and bumps (we all have them!), then think about which items will best achieve this.
• Items to consider are: Corsets, Basques, Bustiers, Baby dolls, Chemises, Suspenders, Stockings and Frilly knickers.
• A great way to add a bit of drama (and props to pose with) is by adding accessories. Items such as fur shrugs, feather boas, hats / tiaras and lacy gloves are great additions to add variety to your images.
• Jewellery is also a brilliant way to add sparkle and glamour. Once you have chosen your style and items of clothing, try to find jewellery that will complement this and is in keeping with the look. For example, if you go for a vintage look, don’t wear modern jewellery – there are some great places to find authentic vintage pieces.
• Bring some nice pairs of heels, as they will lengthen the leg and add a sexy feel to the images.
If you’re not sure what works best together, bring whatever you have and we will have a play around with looks on the day. I also have a good selection of clothing and accessories, which will help complete the look you want.
Here are some online corset, basque and lingerie retailers for some ideas and inspiration…